Funeral Information

  1. Death Certificate: A Death Certificate may be obtained from the General Registrar’s Office at Government Offices, Convent Road, Co Roscommon, F42 VX53 Usually, the death is registered by a relative who knows the details in relation to the death. The attending General Practitioner (Family Doctor) issues a Death Notification Form which states the cause of death. This certificate must be taken to the Registrar. Other details required by the Registrar;
    • Full name and Surname of Deceased
    • The Deceased’s Personal Public Service Number
    • Sex, Marital Status, occupation and date of birth of the Deceased
    • If the death was unexpected or sudden which requires the Coroner to investigate
    • the cause of death. Then the Coroner will register the death.

    Grants and Payments

  2. Widowed Parent Grant (€8000): This is available where a death occurs of a parent with dependent children. (under 18 or over if in full-time education). The Grant is paid when the widowed parent applies for the widow/widowers pension.
    Click here for more information on the Widow Surviving Spouse Grant.

  3. Occupational Injuries Scheme (€850): If death is work-related or as a result of a prescribed illness a Funeral Grant may be paid under the occupational injuries scheme.
    Click here for more information on the Occupational injury death grant.

  4. Social Welfare: If a spouse or partner dies while they are receiving a Social Welfare payment such as the state pension, unemployment benefit, disability benefit, etc., payments will continue to be made for 6 weeks after the death. The local Social Welfare Officer can supply more details.
    Click here for more information on the Social welfare payments after death

  5. Credit Union (from €1270):Any qualified member of a Credit Union is entitled to receive grant payments from the Death Benefit scheme. Further details may be obtained from your local Credit Union.
    Click here for more information on the Credit Union Death Benefits.

  6. Should I consult a Solicitor: In most circumstances, it is advisable for you to consult a solicitor both to relieve you of many worries and to take control of wills/problems of intestacy (when there is no will made), outstanding debts, grants of probate and letter of administration which may be required in order to access assets and distribute to those entitled. A solicitor could save you a great deal of unnecessary trouble and eventually save your money. If It is known that a will was made, it is important that the contents be ascertained as soon as possible after the death, as it may contain instructions regarding funeral arrangements. A will may be among personal papers, or with the bank or solicitor for safekeeping.

  7. Probate: if an estate is to go to Probate it is recommended that a family member/executor or solicitor should do this. If you wish to contact the Probate Office they will assist you in every possible way. They can send out all the relevant application forms and explanatory leaflets.

  8. Burial or Cremation: The choice of burial or cremation is yours. There is little difference in the overall cost, should the family own a grave. However, if new grave needs to be purchased, then this can add significantly to the cost of the funeral. When arranging for the opening of an existing grave, please provide us with the grave number or, failing that, details of the person or persons previously interred in that grave. We will then make all necessary arrangements.

  9. Payment of Funeral Invoice: Funeral Invoice should be paid within 30 days from the date of the invoice. Should a funeral account go to probate/ solicitor, any available funds in Banking/Financial Institutions can, by law, be paid to the funeral Undertaker on presentation of the invoice to that institution.